Nashville Jimmy

The complete blow by blow of the TEAM IN TRAINING spring season. Here you'll learn about the Leukemia, Team in Training, the TEAM, a little bit about New Jersey, a little bit about Nashville, a little bit bout me, Big Poppa,and food. I may have to bring back a story or two about past trainings (put your underwear on the right way round; makes running easier).

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Running with the Cows of Owensville, Missouri

I just wanted share a bit of an achievement. In celebration of my thirtysomething-th trip saround the sun, I wanted to do something really incredible. I thought it over, and well, the marathon has already been done, hang gliding/parachuting was out because I'm terribly afraid of heights, then it came to me- Running with the Bulls of Pamplona, Spain:


The only problem is the running with the bulls is in July. It's also in Spain and I'm in Missouri at present. Getting to Spain might be a little bit of problem, even with the excellent directions provided by Google Maps: getting to Pamplona

no. 2o on the list of directions is a tall order and I'm probably in the best shape of my life

So I thought I'd do the next best thing:

Running with the Cattle of Owensville, Missouri

It was an exciting day. The air was cool, the cow pies fresh, the sky a bright blue, perfect for weather for running with the Cattle. The first hurdle to jump was to locate the herd. After riding around the farm for 20 minutes on the ATV the herd was located.

Here the cattle are getting their game plan together or ignoring me, it's tough to tell.

I tightened my laces and looked over the herd, they looked ready to do business. The business consisted of eating grass and producing methane gas. Apparently they didn't get the day's updated agenda:

  • 9:00 am Eat Grass
  • 9:30 am Eat More Grass
  • 10:00am Run with Jim
  • 10:04am eat more grass
  • 10:15am Union Scheduled 15 minute Break
  • 10:30am Eat Grass
  • 10:33am Move to pond
  • 10:37am Exit pond, eat more grass
  • 11:00am watch 30 Minute Meals with Rachel Ray
  • 11:30am Eat grass
  • 12:00pm Book Club Luncheon - On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
  • 1:00pm Eat Grass
  • 1:15pm Move to far pasture, eat grass
  • 2:00pm Jazzercise
  • 3:00pm Eat Grass
  • 3:30pm Free time/Bocce Tournament (The Utter Bowlers Vs Bovine Bocce Gals)*
*Please note that the profanity rule will be strictly enforced!
  • 4:30pm Eat Grass
  • 5:00pm Meditation
After a little discussion with the Head of the Cattle Local 19, a little "greasing of the hoof" with a salt lick, the agenda was updated among the herd and we were back on schedule and the RUNNING BEGAN:
It was challenging, traversing uneven terrain, fresh cow patties, and catching up with the herd.


Here we are on a slight incline heading toward the back pasture.
The excitement was running high, look at the dust being kicked up.
And so it went: they ran, I tried to catch up. It wasn't easy my friends. I won't lie and tell you I wasn't scared. I was. I almost stepped in several fresh cow patties. Then afterwards there was the ceremonial 'Tick Removal.' Fortunately I didn't have any.

So that's it sports fans. If you ever get a chance to run with cattle I highly suggest you try something else. The cattle were much more interested in eating grass and chewing cud. But it was just the right amount of excitement for me in my advancing age.

I'm already thinking ahead to next year, something a little more challenging, like running with scissors.

-JP

1 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

This is HILARIOUS! I want to run with cows!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home